Do you ever crave guacamole, but don’t want to go out and buy 17 avocados? Or worse, you can’t find even one ripe avocado in the store? Or are you sick of your usual plain hummus and want to spice things up a bit? This Guacamole Hummus is the perfect hybrid of two favorite plant based dips. Using chickpeas, peas, herbs, and cashews for creaminess, this is a satisfying and versatile dip that you can use on almost anything. Add it to lentil tacos, dip fresh veggies or air fried tortilla chips, spread on your favorite wrap- the possibilities are endless!
Why not just make Guacamole?
You may be thinking, what’s the point? Why don’t I just make guacamole? And it’s a valid one. I love guacamole and make it often. However, I find myself leaving it for special occasions, simply for the fact that avocados are just so dang expensive, and also it can be hard to find several good ones when you need them.
This Guacamole Hummus is great also for those trying to prevent and reverse heart disease and are trying to watch their fat intake. There is a small amount of fat with the added cashews, but not nearly the amount you would get if you made guacamole out of all avocados. In addition, you can simply leave out the cashews, if you are being extra conscious.
Why you’ll love this Guacamole Hummus…
-It’s Gluten free
-Bright bold flavor
-Whole food plant based
-Oil free and low in fat
-Great for meal prep!
Meal Prep Away!
This recipe yields 4 cups of hummus, so it makes quite a lot! This makes it great for meal prep, and is more than enough to get you and your family through the week. You can use as a spread on sandwiches and wraps throughout the week, use as a dip with veggies or tortilla chips as a snack, or throw it on top of a burrito bowl or tacos for dinner.
If you feel that you don’t need to make 4 cups, feel free to halve this recipe. The amounts are easily split in half and you will be left with 2 cups, which is still a good amount.
If you don’t have a high speed blender-
No worries, there are a couple possibilities to work around this. If you have a standard blender, simply soak your cashews for at least 10 minutes longer than the recipe states, for a total of 30 minutes. This should soften the cashews enough to be blended in a standard blender.
If you don’t have a blender at all, but do have a food processor, I would leave out the cashews of this recipe all together. It will still be delicious, just not quite as creamy. In this case, you would need to add all of the “Blender Ingredients” (minus the cashews) to the food processor first, and then process until smooth. Then add in the “Food Processor Ingredients” and blend everything together until smooth.
If you are leaving out the cashews for health reasons, this would also be a great way to simplify the recipe, so you only have to pull out your food processor, as opposed to your blender as well.
What should I eat this with?
Some creative ideas:
-Add to bean or lentil tacos
-Top your burrito bowl with a healthy spoonful
-Use as a dip for fresh veggies as a snack or appetizer for company
-Use as a spread on top of toast, or for sandwiches or wraps
-Air fry some corn tortillas to make chips and dip away!
- Blender (High Speed Preferable)
- Food processor
- 1/3 cup cashews soaked in boiled water for 20 min
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1/4 onion (chopped roughly for blender)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1 tsp rosemary (dried or fresh)
Food Processor Ingredients
- 2 cans chickpeas or 1 cup of dried, fully cooked
- 2 cups frozen peas defrosted
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno
- 1/8 cup pickled jalapeno juice (from jar)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 1/4-1/2 tsp if you like things spicy
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Place cashews in a small bowl, and pour over boiled water. Set aside for at least 20 minutes while preparing other ingredients
- After you have prepped all your ingredients and the cashews are done soaking, combine all of "Blender Ingredients" into your blender, and blend until smooth, tamping down ingredients as necessary
- Combine all "Food Processor Ingredients" into the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add mixture from the blender into food processor, and blend again until mixture is entirely smooth and reached your desired texture.
- Serve with air fryer chips, on sandwiches, wraps or with fresh veggies!